Shane - Diagnosed in June with Dialated Cardiomyopathy

This forum is intended for international users to help them with the treatment of cardiomyopathy or heart failure.
shane
Verslaafd aan het forum

Bericht door shane » vr okt 31, 2008 6:24 pm

Hi Corrij,

My health is doing great! Thanks for asking. Shane is now staying with me, so I can monitor him closer...he just loves that! :lol:

Take good care, and have a great weekend!
Verona

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » vr okt 31, 2008 6:47 pm

shane schreef:
My health is doing great! Thanks for asking. Shane is now staying with me, so I can monitor him closer...he just loves that! :lol:

Yeh right :D I have some problems to believe that :D :D (I also have two sons)

have a great weekend to :D
Those who do not have enough time for good health,
will not have good health for enough time.

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » ma nov 24, 2008 9:53 pm

Hi Verona,

How is Shane doing?
Can you give me aliitle update :D

greetings,
Corrij

shane
Verslaafd aan het forum

Bericht door shane » di nov 25, 2008 12:28 am

Hi Corrij,

He is doing well! He has another appointment coming up in December, but no further testing will be done to check his EF, etc. until February. They wanted to maximise his medications dose first before they do further testing.

I am really curious to find out how much he has improved! I will keep you updated as I find out more. :)

Thank you for asking,
Verona

shane
Verslaafd aan het forum

Bericht door shane » wo dec 10, 2008 10:47 pm

Hi Corrij,

Shane says that lately when he takes his vitamins, he get's nauseated and sometimes vomits. He does eat before he takes them, and he has tried taking them separately from his medications.

What should he do differently?

Thank you,
Verona

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » do dec 11, 2008 12:56 am

Hi Verona,

When does he take the carnitine and the taurine?

Greetings,
Corrij

shane
Verslaafd aan het forum

Bericht door shane » do dec 11, 2008 9:45 am

Hi Corrij,

He takes the Carnitine in the morning separately and Taurine at night separately. He has not been taking a lot of his supplements because he gets really nauseated.

Thank you,
Verona

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » do dec 11, 2008 11:21 am

Hi Verona,

Can you give me the list of supplements and the amounts he is taking?

Nausea is a symptom of another problem in the body. Depending on its severity, it is often associated with loss of *appetite, increased salivation and *vomiting. Hot, stuffy or stale air usually worsens the symptoms, and repulsive smells, such as those from smoking or cooking, bring on gagging or vomiting spells. As a normal reaction to nausea, food just eaten becomes disliked and distasteful. So much so that eating it again will often bring on recurring attacks of nausea. Unfortunately this can create an enormous problem for persons experiencing repeated nausea, as sometimes occurs in chemotherapy treatments and during *pregnancy.

Causes

Most problems of the gastrointestinal tract will cause nausea before other symptoms become apparent. Nausea after a meal is likely related to poor digestion, as a result of rich or spicy foods, *stress or lack of stomach acid. Sometimes, nausea is a symptom of an inflammation in the lining in the stomach, *flu or *food poisoning. *Constipation can also cause mild symptoms of queasiness and lack of appetite, as can problems in the gall-bladder or liver, including *hepatitis.

Nausea often appears as a reaction to many problems totally unrelated to the gastrointestinal tract. A shocking experience or extreme *pain anywhere in the body can cause nausea and vomiting as a response of the nervous system. During pregnancy, hormonal changes are responsible for the *morning sickness that many women experience in the first three months. Disorientation from *motion sickness, *dizziness, a hangover and excessive alcohol or drug use will produce queasiness and vomiting. Sometimes, poor circulation due to increasing *heart failure is the cause. More rarely, persistent nausea should be investigated for *kidney problems. Many prescription drugs can cause nausea, including iron supplements.

Nutrition

Nibbling on wholegrain crackers will help relieve nausea by soaking up acidity. Small amounts of fruit juice are also good for alkalinity. Drink carrot and blackberry juice to soothe the stomach and provide essential vitamins and minerals.

Papaya and pineapple juice contain enzymes which aid digestion in the stomach. Nausea can be due to magnesium and B6 deficiency. Wheat germ is an excellent source of both these nutrients. Ginger is an effective remedy for nausea. Chew crystallized ginger to prevent vomiting. Rice is the most easily tolerated of the grains. Make a rice congee with ginger by cooking one part rice to five or six parts water with ginger root four to six hours on a low flame.

Nutritional Supplements

The B vitamins, especially B6, and magnesium are helpful treatment for nausea. If the B vitamins are lacking due to an imbalance in the intestinal flora in the bowels, Lactobacillus acidophilus should be supplemented to restore order.

Although it’s uncommon, some people do experience mild nausea or other gastrointestinal problems after taking a multivitamin supplement. There may not be a particular nutrient responsible here. It could be the fact that he is taking a number of pills and capsules all at the same time. When they dissolve together, they irritate the stomach.
As a general rule, it is good to take supplements with (or after) a meal, and the more complete the meal, the better. If his breakfast does not consist of much food, he might consider taking the supplement with a meal that has a better showing of the food groups, or he might consider splitting the pills between two meals. Whatever he decides, remember that vitamin/mineral pills are meant to supplement a healthful diet, not replace it.

Selenium can cause nausea, vomiting, loss of hair and nails and lesions on the skin
and nervous system
Multivitamin-mineral supplements can cause nausea and heartburn when taken on an empty stomach, and iron, which is in your multivitamin, is well-known stomach irritant.

Acetyl-L carnitine may cause body odor, skin rashes, and digestive disturbances (such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal cramps).

Corrij

shane
Verslaafd aan het forum

Bericht door shane » vr dec 12, 2008 6:27 am

Hi Corrij,

Shane isn't living with me right now, but he admitted today that he may not be eating enough before he takes the supplements. Plus we have had advisories for how bad our air quality is here. We've had fog for that past few weeks...where is spring?? :)

When I get the supplement info, I'll post it here if this continues.

Thanks so much!
Verona

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » vr dec 12, 2008 10:35 am

Hi Verona,

Spring????

Here in Holland the winter just started :D
Everyone hopes on white Christmas :D :D

greetings,
Corrij

shane
Verslaafd aan het forum

Bericht door shane » vr dec 12, 2008 5:52 pm

Hi Corrij,

Our winter just started here too! :) I just don't like freezing all the time. Summer is my favorite season!

Take care!
Verona

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » di mar 17, 2009 4:04 pm

Hi Verona,

Can you give me a little update :D

greetings,
Corrij

shane
Verslaafd aan het forum

Bericht door shane » di mar 17, 2009 5:23 pm

Hi Corrij,

How are you?

I tried posting the other day, but had lost my password. :)

Shane just went back in last week for an appointment with his cardiologist. He said to come back in a year for another check up. He is doing much better, so no more every 2-3 month visits!

I did request that he get an echocardiogram to check his ejection fraction. It has only been checked once and it was 15% when he was diagnosed almost two years ago. This appointment will be on April 9th, so I will update you on the outcome!

Have a great week!
Verona

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » di mar 17, 2009 5:44 pm

Hi Verona,

I`m very glad to hear from you :D
That is great news, to come back in a year for a new appointment, does Shane feel better as well?

It would be great if his Ef would be around the 30% or more :wink:

have a very nice day,

greetings,
Corrij

shane
Verslaafd aan het forum

Bericht door shane » do apr 02, 2009 5:26 am

Hi Corrij,

Shane was having chest pains this morning and I took him to the hospital. They discovered that he wasn't taking his Lasix anymore. Somehow a while back, one of the cardiologists, possibly from out of the area wanted him to stop taking Lasix, but they decided he needs to start back on it again today.

They checked his INR, and it was good. They also took x-rays of his heart. After looking over the x-rays, the cardiologist at the hospital said "If I didn't already know Shane had dilated cardiomyopathy, I would have thought this x-ray was a normal size heart!" WOW...I was so happy hearing this. To think, less than two years ago, I could actually see the lump of his heart beating in his chest, it was so enlarged!

Plus I was checking the heart monitor while we were waiting for the tests to come back and his heart rate was normal and the rhythm of the monitor looked really good! I remember looking at it in the early days and it was really not a steady rhythm at all.

You know this morning as I was getting ready for the day, a thought came through my mind, "I am going to witness a miracle today." I was hoping to win the lottery, but this is actually better!

Corrij, thank you so much for all your help with Shane. I am eternally grateful!!

Take care and God bless you!
Verona

Gesloten