My First Post for Dilated Cardiomyopathy

This forum is intended for international users to help them with the treatment of cardiomyopathy or heart failure.
Douglas
Ervaren met het forum

Bericht door Douglas » ma jan 21, 2008 1:09 am

Hi Marion,
The shortness of breath was before I stopped my supplements, so what I did was stop the supplements, to basically start the protocol again. As I had times when I first commenced when I felt really good.

So this was my grand plan,
1) Stop the supplements and note the change if any. Result= No change in shortness of breath, I am now sure this is the arrythmia, however I did get more tired more easily.
2) Re-commence the supplements slowly and note the changes.=
a) Straight up MSM is no good for me in any amount. It really upsets my system. :roll:
b) Taurine helps with the arrythmia definitely.
c) CoQ10 is OK.
d) Acetyl-L-Carnitine upsets the rythmn, but not that badly I can't live with it.

Thanks for the link to the Purkinje fibers. :D

When I first got sick, they talked about testing these in me, but in my case, they said they would have to stop my heart to insert the electrodes, and they weren't sure they could start it again, so my wife and I decided not to do this.

One day we will live somewhere not remote, and I will have different cardioligists I can ask about this.

Bye for now.
Doug.
Regards,

Douglas Byles

Douglas
Ervaren met het forum

Update

Bericht door Douglas » di jan 29, 2008 12:52 am

Well,
I had a visit with my Cardioligist on Friday. (Last one was September 2007). He agrees, that my shortness of breath is purely due to the AF, however this time around, my ICD had detected some AT as well, which is new for me.
He wants to fly me to Darwin in 6 weeks, and cardiovert me there to try and settle things down. I have to have some blood tests done this week first.

I got off my lazy backside straight after his appointment and have been walking every day since, and I am feeling a lot better for it. I can currently walk for about 30 minutes before I need to rest, but the kilos should fall off over time and I will go further.

On the bright side, my blood pressure was 110 on 70 which is higher than the last few readings, even with bad AF, so that is quite interesting.

Cheers
Doug.
Regards,

Douglas Byles

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » di jan 29, 2008 1:00 pm

Hi Douglas,

Mental stress can exacerbate atrial fibrillation. Taking steps to reduce stress in your life may help calm your nerves — and your heart. Cutting back on caffeine and alcohol, which can overstimulate the heart and trigger an episode of atrial fibrillation, may also be beneficial.

To pump blood, your heart muscles must contract and relax in a coordinated rhythm. Contraction and relaxation are controlled by electrical signals that travel through your heart muscles.
Your heart consists of four chambers — two upper chambers (atria) and two lower chambers (ventricles). Within the upper right chamber of your heart (right atrium) is a group of cells called the sinus node. This is your heart's pacemaker. The sinus node produces the impulse that starts each heartbeat.
During a normal rhythm, the impulse travels first through the atria, then through a connecting pathway between the upper and lower chambers of your heart called the atrioventricular (AV) node. As the signal passes through the atria, they contract, pumping blood from your atria into the ventricles below. A split-second later, as the signal passes through the AV node to the ventricles, the ventricles contract, pumping blood out to your body. Each contraction is a heartbeat.
In atrial fibrillation, the upper chambers of your heart (atria) experience chaotic electrical signals. As a result, they quiver. The AV node — the electrical connection between the atria and the ventricles — is overloaded with impulses trying to get through to the ventricles. The ventricles also beat rapidly, but not as rapidly as the atria. The reason is because the AV node is like a highway on-ramp — only so many cars can get on at one time. The result is an irregular and fast heart rhythm. The heart rate in atrial fibrillation may range from 100 to 175 beats a minute. The normal range for a heart rate is 60 to 100 beats a minute.
Is it possible that first your bloodpressure was higher then normal for you, and then start the AF?

What kind of cardioversoin does your cardiologist suggest?
• Cardioversion with drugs. This uses medications called anti-arrhythmics, which are designed to stop the atria's quivering and restore normal sinus rhythm. Commonly used medications include amiodarone (Cordarone, Pacerone), propafenone (Rythmol), procainamide (Procanbid), sotalol (Betapace) and dofetilide (Tikosyn). Although these drugs can effectively restore sinus rhythm in many people, they can cause side effects, such as nausea, dizziness and fatigue. In rare instances, they may actually cause an increase in heart rate. These medications may be needed indefinitely.
• Electrical cardioversion. In this brief procedure an electrical shock is delivered to your heart through paddles or patches placed on your chest. The shock stops your heart's electrical activity for a split second. When it begins again, it may resume normal rhythm. The procedure is performed under light anesthesia. Beforehand, doctors occasionally prescribe ibutilide (Corvert). This anti-arrhythmic medication can improve the procedure's success rate, especially if electrical cardioversion alone hasn't achieved sinus rhythm.
Before undergoing cardioversion, you may be given a blood-thinning medication for several weeks to reduce the risk of blood clots in the atria and the risk of stroke. Alternatively, you may undergo transesophageal echocardiography — a test to exclude the presence of a blood clot — just before cardioversion. In transesophageal echocardiography, a tube is passed down your esophagus and detailed ultrasound images are made of your heart.
After electrical cardioversion, anti-arrhythmics are often prescribed to help prevent future episodes of atrial fibrillation. Unfortunately, even with medications, the chance of another episode of atrial fibrillation is high.

About exercising,
Exercising each day consistently is important because it takes only a short period without activity to weaken your muscles and your cardiovascular system.It is also a part of the heartfailure protocol.
Regular exercise also helps reduce:
Chest pain (angina) and symptoms of heart failure.
Cholesterol, especially when combined with lifestyle changes, such as eating a balanced diet, not smoking, and reducing stress.
Blood pressure. When combined with other lifestyle changes, such as eating a balanced diet and learning to handle stress, regular exercise can decrease your risk for coronary artery disease.
Your weight or helps control your weight, which can decrease your risk for coronary artery disease and diabetes.
Blood sugar levels, which can lower your risk for diabetes.
Stress. It also helps lift your mood and decreases depression and anxiety.

greetings,
Corrij
Those who do not have enough time for good health,
will not have good health for enough time.

Douglas
Ervaren met het forum

Bericht door Douglas » wo jan 30, 2008 7:13 am

Hi Corrij,
Thanks for the information. I love these articles you post. they are so useful and relate straight our issues, without having to wade through lines of text.

My blood pressure was always good. It dropped when I came off Cordarone and the AF came back. My doctor proposes to use my implanted defibrillator to cardiovert me and then Cordarone to keep me in Sinus rhythm. I have very good tolerance to Cordarone, although it does cause depression in me.

The walking is going very well. :D and I am feeling better in my heart, but the body is screaming at me "What are you doing???" :o But of course my muscles will get used to it and I will go further and longer as time goes on.

Hope everyone is well.

:D
Regards,

Douglas Byles

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » wo jan 30, 2008 10:47 am

Hi Douglas,

Thank you for your kind words :D

We advice people to walk every day about 45 - 60 minutes.
Not to fast and not to slow, walk and talk, your speed must be that high that you can have a conversation without getting a shortness of breath :D

The best company you can have when you go for a walk is a dog :D

Everything is fine here, will let you know that I`ve planned a short holiday from 2 february untill 9 february,

greetings,
Corrij

Douglas
Ervaren met het forum

Question

Bericht door Douglas » di mei 20, 2008 12:57 am

:D Hi all, I am sailing along fairly stable, (touch wood) at the moment. I have started on Ubiquinol since reading Corrij's link about it, and I feel OK.

I had a question for all, does anyone find that since starting their prescription medications, their memory is not as good as it used to be? I was pretty outstanding at remembering all sorts of rubbish as well as important stuff :P and it seems to me I have to work harder to recall things now days.

Of course it might be old age. :o :lol:

Hope you are all travelling well
Doug.

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » di mei 20, 2008 10:35 am

Hi Douglas,

Mental confusion or impaired thinking
Abnormal levels of certain substances in the blood, such as sodium, or reduced blood flow to the brain can cause memory loss or disorientation. The person with heart failure may not notice these changes. A family member or caregiver may be the first to recognize mental impairment in the patient with heart failure.

Memory loss, or age-related cognitive decline (ARCD), is a normal occurrence in aging. Those at a larger risk of a dissipating memory are the elderly, females, and those who have experienced heart attack or heart failure. Memory loss entails a decrease in memory, attention, concentration, and the ability to speak. Memory loss may be connected to Alzheimer’s disease, but it is a process that occurs over a period of time.

There is no standard treatment for memory loss, although nootropic drugs are used to help improve cognitive function. And several natural supplements and herbs aid in cognitive function either by delaying memory loss or improving memory. Acetyl-L-carnitine aids in delaying the onset of memory loss and improves cognitive function. Phosphatidylserine improves memory along with vitamins B6, B12, C, and E. Melatonin is a known aid in improving sleep and cognitive function. The herbs ginkgo and huperzia also help improve memory.

greetings,
Corrij

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » di okt 07, 2008 5:00 pm

Hello Douglas,

Can you tell me how your doing?
I hope great :D

greetings,
Corrij

Douglas
Ervaren met het forum

Update

Bericht door Douglas » di okt 14, 2008 7:57 am

Hi Corrij,
I appear to have a slight deteriation in my condition. I have admittedly slackened off on my supplements.

I am shorter of breath now days and battling asthma more than I ever had to before, due to some plant growing near here.

I get tired again and find some days a bit tough.

I have not had an echo for about 20 months, due to where I live, so I don't really know if there are any changes or not.

My cardiologist thinks I am stable though.

Hope all is well where you all are.

Cheers
Doug/
Regards,

Douglas Byles

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » di okt 14, 2008 11:43 am

Hi Douglas,

Can you tell me why you slackened your supplements?
Do you think your shortness of breath is cause by a allergy?
Do you use diuretics?

greetings,
Corrij

Willy
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Willy » di okt 14, 2008 12:14 pm

Maybe it was a test? To try if supplements make a difference :lol:

If so......................

test succeeded :lol:
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Willy Witsel

Ben je blij met ons gratis advies doe dan
een tweet of een like bovenin deze forumpagina

Douglas
Ervaren met het forum

Bericht door Douglas » di okt 14, 2008 1:01 pm

:oops: I am ashamed to say that I just got lazy, and was always "going to start them again, going to take some" etc etc

I have recommenced them just last week, after I got a talking to from the wife. :evil:

I expect it will take me some time to regain lost ground.

Yes I am on diuretics.
No I do not drink enough water.
My shortness of breath is directly attributable to asthma, which I never used to get. I take Seretide and it fixes it. It also goes away, when all my lovely tropical plants stop flowering. :D

Doug
Regards,

Douglas Byles

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » di okt 14, 2008 3:59 pm

Hi Douglas,

You should know by now that you always have to listen to your wife :D
Women are very wise persons, don`t you know this?????? :D

Can you give <u>this</u> woman a list of supplements your taking at this moment?

greetings,
Corrij

Douglas
Ervaren met het forum

Bericht door Douglas » wo okt 15, 2008 3:07 am

If women are so wise, why do they marry men?? :D

However,
I am at the moment, taking the following.

Fish oil - 4 tablets 3 x a day.
CoQ10 120mg 2 x a day
Taurine 500mg 3 x a day
Acetyl - L -Carnitine 250mg 3 x a day.
Magnesium Aspartate 1000mg daily.
Regards,

Douglas Byles

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » wo okt 15, 2008 2:35 pm

Hi Douglas,

About you asthma, do you know the supplement rosemarinic acid?

Asthma and Allergies
Asthma historically has been considered a lower-airway disease, while allergic rhinitis is considered an upper-airway disorder. New associations are being found between asthma and allergies, and a new integrated theory called the “united airway” theory has been proposed.23 Allergies of the upper airway are now considered a risk factor for asthma development, and it is now clear that high eosinophil count in the nasal mucous is one common link between the two disorders.24 Many people suffer from both seasonal allergies and asthma, and nasal eosinophils can be regarded as the most important predictor of upper- and lower-airway functions in patients with both seasonal allergic rhinitis and asthma, as demonstrated in a June 2004 study.25

In fact, the toughening and thickening of lung tissue seen in the lower airway in asthmatics has been connected with repeated bouts of allergies in the upper airways. The tissue changes are probably due to free radical scarring caused by the responder cells—neutrophils, T cells, and other leukocytes drawn to the inflamed site by histamines and other chemoattractants.26

In February 2004, researchers duplicated the characteristic smooth muscle thickening in asthmatic airways by repeatedly exposing rats to allergens and noting the changes in lung architecture. T cells, macrophages, eosinophils, lymphocytes, and neutrophils in lung fluid increased dramatically, resulting in the characteristic changes seen in the airway walls of asthmatics.26 New studies such as this reinforce the importance of controlling seasonal and year-round allergies; failure to control these conditions presents the very real danger of causing permanent structural changes to lung tissue.

Conclusion
Among natural compounds, rosmarinic acid and luteolin are the best choices for treating seasonal allergies, perennial allergies, and asthma. Rosmarinic acid is the only nutraceutical shown to be effective in treating seasonal rhinitis in humans. In numerous animal and human cell studies, luteolin has been shown to be effective in suppressing allergic inflammation. At least one natural source—perilla leaf extract—contains significant amounts of both compounds. This holds great promise for allergy sufferers around the world, as these products have been demonstrated to act as antihistamines while killing off excess allergy-activated responder cells, the real root cause of suffering in allergic conditions.

Your supplement list is not optimal,

Acetyl carnitine 1500-2000 mg a day
Vitamin E 512 IE a day
Vitamine C 3000 mg a day
Alpha lipioc acis 250 mg a day

greetings
Corrij

Plaats reactie