Cardiomyopathy or myocarditis from virus

This forum is intended for international users to help them with the treatment of cardiomyopathy or heart failure.
diane1
Bekende op het forum

Bericht door diane1 » di sep 11, 2007 9:45 pm

Hello,
Sorry for my disappearing act. I had been checking for a reply, but didn't see one. I didn't get the email notice that you had posted a note.
I started working again, part-time, in September so have been busy trying to cope with everything.

Yes, I started taking the MSM and have built it up very slowly, because I am usually sensitive to most things I put in my body.

I am still trying to find a lot of the other supplements here. It's not so easy.

Diane

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » wo sep 12, 2007 12:54 pm

Hi Diane,

Under your messages you find a line asking

abonneer op dit onderwerp, you must click this on and then you received a mail when some one has writen a message :D

Do you have headaches or diarrhea?
What is the amount of the MSM youre taking now?

Do you also take the chromium?

greetings,
Corrij
Those who do not have enough time for good health,
will not have good health for enough time.

diane1
Bekende op het forum

Bericht door diane1 » wo sep 12, 2007 7:08 pm

hi,
i have received all of the other emails, just not that last one.

i had the inital headache for about a week, as you predict. i have had diarrhea since february from the magnesium, so it is hard to tell the difference. :(

the chromium is in my multivitamin.

i now take 2400 of msm, and am still considering when i will increase it to 3000.

i cannot find acetyl-l-carinitine or normal taurine here and am now trying to get someone to bring it from the u.s.

will i also be needing arginine later??

as my heart is functioning ok in terms of EF rate, my main problems at the moment are trying to reduce the heart being enlarged, and i still can not walk fast or climb steps without really feeling it. i read somewhere that msm may have anti-inflammatory properties. that would be great if it's true!

diane

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » wo sep 12, 2007 8:27 pm

Hi Diane,

I`ll give the list of the most important supplements, you will need in the next months.

Carnitine
Taurine
Q10
Vitamin C
Vitamin E
Alpha- lipoic acid

What kind of magnesium do you use?Are you really have diarrhea since february?

Picking a magnesium supplement may not seem like a decision worthy of intense study. But select the wrong one, and you may find yourself in the bathroom more frequently. Dose for dose, magnesium gluconate causes one-third of the amount of diarrhea of magnesium oxide and one-half of the frequency of diarrhea of magnesium chloride.

Other benefits of magnesium gluconate: It can be taken on an empty stomach, while the other two forms can cause stomach upset in some people. Magnesium gluconate is absorbed more quickly than other forms. And you don't have to take quite as much, since the amount of magnesium per capsule that your body can use is higher.

As a general rule, you need about six milligrams of magnesium for every kilogram (2.2 pounds) of body weight. That means that if you weigh 150 pounds, you should be getting about 400 milligrams a day. If you develop diarrhea, simply take your magnesium in divided doses throughout the day, or reduce the dose by 20 to 25 percent until normal soft bowel movements return.

greetings,
Corrij

diane1
Bekende op het forum

Bericht door diane1 » wo sep 12, 2007 9:33 pm

hi,

i am taking 3 X 250mg of Emgesan (i was taking 4 X). i take the 3 tablets at different times of the day with the potassium.
it is magnesiumhydroxide
http://www.fass.se/LIF/produktfakta/art ... ocTypeID=5

thanks for the info. i will research magnesium gluconate and see if i can find that here.

i am already taking Q10, Vit E and some Vit C.
hopefully my friend can bring me the ALC, taurine and ALA.
by the way, how important is the difference between l-carnitine and acetyl l-carnitine?

diane

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » wo sep 12, 2007 9:53 pm

hi Diane,

Supplemental L-carnitine may have cardioprotective activity in addition to beneficially affecting cardiac function. It may have a triglyceride-lowering effect in some as well as help to elevate HDL-cholesterol levels. L-carnitine may also have antioxidant properties.

Acetyl-L-carnitine may have neuroprotective activity. It may also aid in the treatment of age-related cholinergic deficits, such as those found in dementia disorder, including Alzheimer's disease
Acetyl-L-Carnitine is the acetyl ester of L-carnitine.
Acetyl-L-carnitine is also known as acetyl-carnitine, L-acetycarnitine, acetylcarnitine, acetyl levocarnitine, ALC and ALCAR.

Acetyl-L-carnitine is a delivery form for both L-carnitine and acetyl groups.

greetings,
Corrij

diane1
Bekende op het forum

Bericht door diane1 » wo sep 12, 2007 10:00 pm

hello again,
yes, i pretty much found the same info. the more i read, the more confused i was. i know that you recommend the acetylated form, but the one explanation said that ALC was better for the brain, and regular L-C is better for the body. but there are many conflicting explanations. maybe half and half is another solution!!

diane

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » ma sep 24, 2007 4:39 pm

Hi Diane,

Can you give me the amount of
Q10
Vitamine E
Vitamine C youre taking?

greetings,
Corrij

diane1
Bekende op het forum

Bericht door diane1 » ma sep 24, 2007 10:43 pm

Hi Corrij,

I take 100 of Q10
400 of Vit E
500 of Vit C

And now I finally have all of the other things that you listed: the Acetyl L-Carnitine, the Taurine, and the Alpha Lipoic Acid. So, what's the plan?

Diane

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » di sep 25, 2007 10:30 am

Hi Diane,

First of all the amount of vitamine C is too little, you must take about 3000 mg a day.

The Carnitine 3 x 500 mg a day
Taurine 3 x 500 mg a day
Q10 2 x 100 mg a day
Alpha lipioc acid 1 x 250 mg a day

I just wanted to say that it would be best to take the carnitine and the taurine
separately on a empty stomach.

For instance the carnitine half an hour before breakfast or two hours after breakfast

The taurine half an hour before lunch or diner. or two hours after
This is to get an as big as possible effect.

The best way to take alpha lipioc is together with your meals, because it can cause stomach pain, not by everyone but in case off :D

greetings,
Corrij

diane1
Bekende op het forum

Bericht door diane1 » wo sep 26, 2007 10:23 pm

Hi,

Ok, I am trying to incorporate all these pills into my daily schedule, but it is a challenge to find enough "empty stomach" moments.

I will increase the vitamin C gradually because of the chance it will make the diarrhea worse.

I haven't found a product that is magnesium gluconate here. Do you know of one (with high dosage like I use) in NL? I may be passing through in a few weeks and could get some things there.

Diane

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » do sep 27, 2007 12:04 pm

Hi Diane,

Is it possible for you to buy magenesium chelated or magnesium citrate?These are very good products too.

And maybe you can ask your doctor if he wants to give you e recept for magnesium gluconate?Or ask him what he think its the best form of magnesium for you.Tell him about your diarrhea.

Magnesium is of key importance to human health. It participates in over 300 enzymatic reactions in the body. A deficiency has been linked to conditions such as irregular heart beat, asthma, emphysema, cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, mitral valve prolapse, stroke and heart attack, diabetes, fibromyalgia, glaucoma, migraine, kidney stones, osteoporosis, and probably many more. Magnesium is particularly important when it comes to ensuring the health of the heart and bones. About 99% of the body's magnesium stores are found in the bones and tissues and heart tissue is particularly rich in this important mineral. About half of the body’s magnesium stores can be found in bones, so it is clearly a very important mineral as far as osteoporosis prevention is concerned.Only 1% of the body's magnesium is actually present in the blood so a standard blood analysis is a very poor way of determining overall magnesium status.

The RDA (Recommended Dietary Allowance) is 420 mg/day for men and 320 mg/day for women. Unfortunately, recent surveys have shown that many Americans have a dietary intake of 200 mg/day or less. A recent study found that 74% of a cohort of 2000 elderly men and women did not consume the recommended amount. This same study also concluded that a high magnesium intake is associated with a significantly higher bone density in older white men and women. Every 100 mg/day extra intake of magnesium was found to correspond to a 2% increase in whole-body bone mass. This compares to an approximate 2% increase per 400-mg/day increase in calcium consumption. It is thought that magnesium may act as a buffer for the acid produced by the typical Western diet and may also replace calcium in the hydroxyapatite part of bone, thus resulting in a stronger structure. There is also evidence that magnesium suppresses bone resorption (demineralization) at least in younger people.

Almonds, nuts, blackstrap molasses, wheat bran and wheat germ are good sources of magnesium; however, many people will, no doubt, prefer to take a magnesium supplement as an easy and reliable way of assuring an adequate daily intake. Up to 800 mg/day of elemental magnesium is probably safe; however, people with kidney disease or severe heart disease should not supplement with magnesium without their doctor’s approval. There is some evidence that a continued magnesium deficiency may reduce the ability to absorb magnesium. Thus it may be necessary to have intravenous magnesium infusions first before an oral supplementation program can make a meaningful difference. Magnesium absorption tends to decrease as body stores are replenished so there is little chance of overdosing; nevertheless, patients with end-stage renal disease should not supplement with magnesium. Vitamin D is required for optimum absorption so it is important to get adequate unprotected sun exposure daily or to take a vitamin D-3 supplement when using oral replenishment of magnesium. Some magnesium supplements, when taken in excess, cause a looser stool and even diarrhea. Taking too much magnesium is not a good idea since diarrhea is likely to cause the loss of most, if not all, of the supplemented amount.

The most common magnesium supplements are magnesium oxide, magnesium carbonate, chelated magnesium (magnesium glycinate), magnesium orotate, magnesium citrate, magnesium maleate and magnesium gluconate. These supplements provide different amounts of elemental magnesium (the constituent that matters) and also vary significantly in their bioavailability (absorption).

Magnesium oxide is the most dense magnesium compound and the one most often used in mineral supplements and multivitamins. It contains 300 mg of elemental magnesium per 500 mg tablet, but is extremely poorly absorbed. Only about 4% of its elemental magnesium is absorbed or about 12 mg out of a 500 mg tablet.

Magnesium carbonate contains 125 mg of elemental magnesium per 500 mg tablet, but is poorly absorbed.

Chelated magnesium (magnesium glycinate) is magnesium bound in a complex of glycine and lysine. It is easily absorbed and highly bioavailable. The magnesium (elemental) content per tablet or capsule is usually 100 mg.

Magnesium orotate contains only 31 mg of elemental magnesium per 500 mg tablet. However, it is well absorbed and has been found highly effective in daily intakes of 3000 mg (186 mg elemental).

Magnesium citrate contains 80 mg of elemental magnesium per 500 mg tablet. It is far better absorbed than is magnesium oxide. The water soluble form (Natural Calm) contains 205 mg of elemental magnesium per teaspoon, is totally soluble in hot water and is highly bioavailable.

Magnesium maleate contains 56 mg of elemental magnesium per 500 mg tablet.

Magnesium gluconate contains 27 mg of elemental magnesium per 500 mg tablet. It is easily absorbed and quick acting.

All forms of oral magnesium supplements are better absorbed when taken with a meal.

greetings,
Corrij

ps If you come to Holland and you have a adress to stay, maybe we can deliver some supplements over there

diane1
Bekende op het forum

Bericht door diane1 » do sep 27, 2007 10:18 pm

Hi Corrij,

Thanks again for researching this for me. I really do need to find a solution to this. This info about how much each type of magnesium is absorbed in reality is really useful. I will try to get the doctors to take some interest in this.
Of course I have told them many times about the diarrhea, but doctors have a habit of not listening when you start talking about side effects of medicines! ;-) Maybe I can take this info to the pharmacy and get them to help me too.

I will let you know later about my travel plans to NL.
Regards,
Diane

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » vr sep 28, 2007 10:42 am

Hi Diane,

Your welcome :D

Kennis=Macht (I know you can read a little dutch :D )so I give as much information as possible :wink:

greetings,
Corrij

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » wo okt 17, 2007 12:37 pm

Hi Diane,

Can you give me a little update?
How are you doing?

greetings,
Corrij

Plaats reactie