Dilated Cardiomyopathy

This forum is intended for international users to help them with the treatment of cardiomyopathy or heart failure.
Joyce
Bekende op het forum

Dilated Cardiomyopathy

Bericht door Joyce » vr aug 19, 2005 6:21 pm

I'm a 57 year old female and was diagnosed with idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy in 1999. They think it may have been caused by a virus. I am stable at this time and haven't had any other hopitalizations. My Ejection Fraction is only 15%. It has stayed 15% since 1999. I was hospitalized for CHF and pulmonary edema. I lost 13 lbs of fluid the 3 days I was in the hospital. The only thing that swells on me is my stomach. I was told the only option for me is a heart transplant which I don't want. My blood pressure stays about 100/60 and my pulse around 60 bpm. I'm on a low sodium diet, fluid restricted diet. My current meds are: Demadex 20 mg (2xd) Coreg 25mg (2xd), Monopril 10 mg (1xd) and K-Dur 20 MEQ (1xd). I have no problem with skipping a meal or eating 3 hours later. I don't use sugar and am switching to a vegetarian diet. I get short of breath when I walk and also angina with a burning feeling in my heart. I also have a slight heart murmur and mitral valvue prolaspe. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Regards,

Joyce

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » za aug 20, 2005 5:38 pm

Hello Joyce,

First of all, welcome to this forum.
Do you think your cardiologist would mind you using supplements to improve your health?
And could you find out if you can get the supplements by the makes of Solgar or Pharma Nord or Now?

I would appreciate it if you can answer the following questions. I know you already gave me some answers, but we always start by answering some questions so we get a more complete picture.

How did you notice you had it?

When was this?

What is the cause of it, according to the cardiologist?

What is your EJF %, pump function?

How is your blood pressure, how high was it without medication and how high is it now?

What was your heart rate before and after the present medication?

Did they examine whether your veins (neck or groin) let enough blood flow?

Do you suffer with decomposition or swollen ankles?

Are there certain things at the moment you can’t do anymore?

Can you still climb the stairs for instance?

Or do you still do sports?

How does the cardiologist call your illness?

Do you suffer from allergies or have an intolerance to food or medicines?

Do you get tired quickly?

Do you eat a lot of sugar?

After some exertion , do you quickly get short of breath?

Best regards,

Corrij

Joyce
Bekende op het forum

Dilated Cardiomyopathy

Bericht door Joyce » zo aug 21, 2005 2:15 am

Hello Corrji:

Thank you for your reply. My cardiologists doesn't mind if I use supplements to improve my health. I can get the Solgar and NOW supplements locally at the health food store. I would have to send off for the Pharma Nord products. Below are answers to the questions you requested.

I noticed I had it when I got short of breath and was coughing constantly. This went on for 3 months. My doctor at the time was treating me for astma and bronchitis which I didn't have. So for 3 months I was in congestive heart failure, working full time, couldn't sleep because just laying down caused me to cough and wake up. Was also spitting up lots of foamy phlem which was blood tinged due to the violence of the cough. I literally felt like I was drowning. This was in Nov. 1998 and I didn't get diagnosed till I was admitted to the hospital in Feb. 1999. A chest Xray showed I have a very enlarged heart. I was sent to the heart transplant hospital for a workup to see if I was a candidate for a transplant. I was and was put on the transplant list. I did some research and decided I didn't want to do that. My catherization showed no blockage and the doctor said they think a virus attacked my heart. I've never smoked and am not obese. My ejection fraction in Feb. 1999 was 15%. Last year it was still 15%. It will be checked again the end of this year. I don't know what my blood pressure was at that time. I wasn't getting enough oxygen to my brain, so everything is a little fuzzy there. My pulse was over 100 and the cardiologist said my heart was quivering and without a heart transplant I had only a 50/50 chance of living another year. My blood pressure now stays at about 100/60. Pulse around 60. I was taking Lanoxin but it lowered my pulse below 60 so the doctor took me off of it.
They examined everything and my neck and groin veins are letting enough blood flow. I have never had swollen ankles but do get swelling in my belly. I lost 13 lbs in 3 days of fluid while I was hospitalized on a lasix drip. Told my doctor I'd give him a thousand dollars for 1 nights sleep : )
It was that bad. I can't physically exert myself anymore. I can't vacuum the carpets, do yard work or anything that requires very much walking. Some days I can climb stair with no problem and other days I get short of breath and have chest pains. I definitely can't do any sports. The cardiologist wants me to go in and get another workup for a heart transplant. She says one side of my heart is compensating for the other at this time but I may need a pace maker because of an electrical problem later. I have no known food or medicines allergies. I mostly eat things sweetened with Splenda or Stevia and don't eat very much sugar at all.
After some exertion, I always quickly get short of breath.

Well, I think that's all the questions answered you ask me.

Thank you for all your time and kindness.

Joyce
Regards,

Joyce

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » zo aug 21, 2005 8:24 pm

Hello Joyce,

Your story sounds very familiar to me, it resembles my husbands’.
He was also diagnosed dilated cardiomyopathy in 1999 and he was also placed on the list for transplantations.
He was told he had a life expectancy of about 5 years. A year and a half ago he started taking supplements and in February of this year
He was declared fully, a 100%, cured. :D
He is hart is normal in size again, his blood pressure ok, in short everything is normal again and he’s of normal medication.
At this moment he works full time for his boss, and he has his own company.
The reason I tell you all this is because there’s definitely still hope, so never lose heart. :wink: :wink:

Do you also suffer with cardiac arrhythmia?
If this is so then there is a special test you can do to see if you have a shortage of potassium, this is often a cause of the problem.
You can see if this is the case with you by eating 4 or 5 ripe bananas a day. If you have cardiac arrhythmia and it gets less by eating the bananas then we can always proceed to taking potassium tablets.

I suggest that you start with 200mcg Chromium GFT, you can start this without a problem.
MSM, the final dosage is 3000 mg but we’ll build it up slowly, I suggest 500 mg for the first few days, If this goes well then 500 extra untill you are at the 3000 mg.
You have to build it up slowly because MSM detoxifies and it can cause headache, diarrhoea or tiredness.
Msm and chromium are not a part of the heart failure protocol but they are meant to give you more energy.

Furthermore I would like to advice you to start with acetyl L-Carnitine 3x 500 mg a day.

The link below gives you more info on L-Carnitine

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... t=Abstract

Kind regards,
Corrij

Joyce
Bekende op het forum

Dilated Cardiomyopathy

Bericht door Joyce » zo aug 21, 2005 11:25 pm

Hello Corrij:

Thank you so much for your fast reply and giving me some hope. I was so happy to hear your husband had a full recovery. I never thought that it was possible for anyone to be cured by supplements after they were put on a transplant list.

My doctor has me on potassium supplements 20 MEQ a day and as far as I
know the cardiac arrhythmia is gone.

I will go tomorrow and buy the MSM and Chromium GFT and acetyl-L-Carnitine and take them in the dosages you suggested. They will either be the Solgar or NOW brand. How long will I need to take these?

I went to the Link you suggested and printed up the article plus this msg from you so I'll be sure to buy the right supplements and strengths. It makes a lot of sense to me.
Regards,

Joyce

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » zo aug 21, 2005 11:49 pm

Hello Joyce,

My husband has taken the supplements for almost one year,this was very very short. :D :D
Normally we expect that you need to take them for two or three years.

kind regards,
Those who do not have enough time for good health,
will not have good health for enough time.

Joyce
Bekende op het forum

Dilated Cardiomyopathy

Bericht door Joyce » ma aug 22, 2005 12:29 am

Hello Corrij:

So, your husband got better in a Year? Were these the only supplements he took or will I have to add different ones later? I wouldn't care if I had to take them the rest of my life as long as they're working. It sure beats the alternative.
Regards,

Joyce

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » ma aug 22, 2005 3:51 pm

Hello Joyce,

It’s true that my husband was cured in about a year. He still uses supplements now, but only as a maintenance dosage. :D
This was unusually fast though, most people need 2 to 3 years.

And no, these are not the only supplements. There’s more to follow but first we’ll see how you react to this and then we’ll take it step by step.

In the Netherlands more people follow this protocol and they have progressed very well.
Willy and myself are confident that more people will be cured from CMP.
Thus far two people have been cured, Willy himself and my husband. :lol:

Just build up the MSM slowly and don’t hesitate to ask me anything you want.

Regards,

Corrij

Joyce
Bekende op het forum

Dilated Cardiomyopathy

Bericht door Joyce » ma aug 22, 2005 6:54 pm

Hello Corrij:

I started the MSM today and plan to add the Chromium GFT in a few days. I
couldn't find the strength I needed in the health store. So, it will take me a few days to get it.

I was wondering what kind of diet your husband ate while he was healing.
I'm eating very low fat (10% calories from fat) plus mostly fruits and vegetables. Some whole grains but not much. I'm cutting out all sugar and using Stevia as a sweetener and non-dairy products. I only use Extra Virgin Light Olive Oil and Earth Balance margarine.

Big Hug :D
Regards,

Joyce

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » di aug 23, 2005 3:00 pm

Hello Joyce,

First of all thank you for the hug. :D
My husband didn't really follow a diet.
but he did watch out for foods with carbohydrates because he's diabetic and he's overweight

Good that you started with the MSM
If it's hard to come on the right dose of Chroom GTF, couldn't you order it though internet?
My husband orders his supplements through internet and it works fine, maybe a tip ? :wink:

If there is only 100mcg instead of 200 mcg then you can just take two, and if it's double the ammount just break it in half.

Kind Regards, Corrij

Joyce
Bekende op het forum

Dilated Cardiomyopathy

Bericht door Joyce » di aug 23, 2005 8:00 pm

Hi Corrij:

Thanks for answering my question about your husbands diet. I ordered the
Chromium GFT from NOW online and it should be here the end of the week or first of next week. They're having a very good sale on it and the L Carnitine. I'm up to 1,000 mg a day of the Solgar MSM and so far no diarrhea or other side effects.

I was wondering since your husband has taken these products so long, where ya'll have found the cheapest place to buy these.

Thanks again,

Joyce
Regards,

Joyce

Willy
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Willy » do aug 25, 2005 5:27 pm

Hello Joyce I am back from sailing.

Looked at the discussion do not have much to add.

MSM will improve oxigen transport in most cases of CMP. It will not cure you from CMP but will give you time to decide.

Chroom will improve carbohydrate metabolism, it will give some people (insulin resistant people, people with diabetes in the family) more energy.

L-carnitnie is an important factor in fat metabolism. Heart cells use only fat as fuel. a carnitine deficienty will cause energy problemns in the heart muscle

Since we do not want you to use any supplements that do not work a propose a time out until you are on max dosis for carnitine, chroom and MSM.

(carnitine and chroom does not need an introduction protocol, MSM does)

If al goes well, you feel a little bit better then.
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Willy Witsel

Ben je blij met ons gratis advies doe dan
een tweet of een like bovenin deze forumpagina

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » do aug 25, 2005 8:58 pm

Hello Joyce,

My husband orders his supplements by a firm in The Netherlands,
called the Rooy en they sponcer Willy and the whole forum,and this still is the easiest way for us, just through internet ,you know that you always get the right dose of supplements delivered home. :D

In Amerika it shouldn't be a problem either to find a good firm to send it
through internet?

Theres not really a difference in the price, the better brands dont really
have a difference in price rang, but it'll be worth while to research it
first. :D

Kind regards,

Corrij

Joyce
Bekende op het forum

Dilated Cardiomyopathy

Bericht door Joyce » vr aug 26, 2005 4:53 pm

Hello Corrij:

Thanks for answering my question. I'll keep you posted on how it's going.

Joyce
Regards,

Joyce

Joyce
Bekende op het forum

Dilated Cardiomyopathy

Bericht door Joyce » vr aug 26, 2005 5:00 pm

Hello Willy:

Hope you had a nice vacation. I'm up to the 3,000 mg MSM a day with no problems and plan to start the Chromium next week. I want to add 1 supplement at a time so if I have a problem I will know which one is causing it.

I really appreciate the time and consideration you and Corrij have given me. I had lost all hope and now I have it again.

Thank you both so much!!!!

Joyce
Regards,

Joyce

Plaats reactie