Dilated myopathy after giving birth

This forum is intended for international users to help them with the treatment of cardiomyopathy or heart failure.
praveen
Bekende op het forum

Dilated myopathy after giving birth

Bericht door praveen » za sep 10, 2005 4:15 pm

Hello everyone

I am Praveen from South Africa

I write here for my wife.

Below is 2 reports from the doctor that describe her condition.She got the myopathy after giving birth to our baby girl in 1998.THe reports below are outdated in date at but our last visit to the Cardiologist last year, he said that her condition was almost still the same, although he sees that her
heart size is becoming normal again.Currently she gets short breath during mild exertion.The medication she is on also causes her put on alot of weight.She is unable to exercise, she gets short breaths.When she tries Yoga exercises, her stomach blows up.

REPORT ONE

Thank you for referring Mrs Naidoo on the 9 September 1998.

Approx. 2 weeks ago she presented to you with a bronchitic illness and a wheeze. She was treated with Bisolvon and Zinnat and did not respond well. A subsequent chest x-ray showed cardiomegaly with features of heart failure. She was then assessed by Dr P L Perumal and the diagnosis was the she most likely had a postpartum cardiomyopathy. She was treated with Lasix, Slow K and Capoten and discontinued all of this treatment because of severe headaches. She now presented to you again with cardiac failure which responded to a single dose of intravenous Lasix. There is no history of hypertension. She had gestational diabetes but her glucose levels are now normal. She delivered 2 months ago. There was no other relevant history.

General examination was normal except for obesity . There were no signs of cardiac failure except for a gallop rhythm. The pulse rate was 110/min and regular, BP 110/70. No murmurs were audible. The rest of the examination was normal.

The resting ECG showed sinus rhythm but no other abnormalities.
Echocardiography showed that all chambers were dilated with poor left ventricular function. There was global hypokinesis. Trivial mitral and tricuspid regurgitation was detected and there was evidence of pulmonary hypertension. All of the valves appeared normal on 2 dimensional echocardiography.

In conclusion, Mrs Naidoo has a cardiomyopathy which is most probably postpartum. I have explained to her the nature of her disease and that she needs to be on maintenance therapy. She has been maintained on Renitec 2.5mg bd, Slow K 1 bd and Lasix 40mg daily. She has also been advised to stay away from work and I will review her again in 2 weeks time.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REPORT TWO

Herewith a report on Mrs Naidoo who was reassessed on the 17 March 2000.

Mrs Naidoo has heart failure due to cardiomyopathy, which is most likely idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. I first saw her on the 9 September 1998. She then presented with a 2 weeks history of wheezing and dyspnoea. She was found to be in heart failure and echocardiography showed dilatation of all chambers and poor left ventricular function. She was initially treated with Renitec, Lasix and Slow K. On the 31 October 1998 she was admitted to hospital in severe heart failur. She gradually responded to intravenous Lasix. Since her discharge from hospital she has been seen very frequently for follow up and for episodes of severe dyspnoea. Her treatment has been altered over the years depending on her reponse. Her current medications are Dilatrend 3.125mg bd, Renitec 5mg bd, Lasix 80mg daily, Swiss Kal 2 daily and Zaroxolyn 2.5mg whenever necessary.

When seen on the 17 March 2000 she complained of increasing shortnes of breath for 2 weeks. She was also getting orthopnoea and nocturnal dyspnoea and needed to take Zaroxolyn on a daily basis. She was in NYHA functional class III.

ON examination there were no objective signs of heart failure. BP 115/80, pulse rate 62/min.and regular.

Echocardiography shows a dilated left ventricle with reduced systolic function. The EDD is 62mm and ESD 48mm. EF 44%. All of the valves appear normal.

I have added Aldactone 25mg daily to her treatment.

In conclusions, Mrs Rita Naidoo has heart failure due to idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. At present she is NYHA functional class III. She gets shortness of breath on mild to moderate exertion and is unable to even take care of her child properly. Her longterm prognosis is poor and she may ultimately require heart transplantation.

Current Medication as of September 2005

Flurosomide : 1 a Day 40 mg ( This is the Generic of Lasix)
Carloc – 3.25 2 times a day ( This is the generic of Dilatrend)
Spiractin 1 a day
Pharmapress 20 mg 1 a day ( This was substituted for Atacand)

Any help will be appreciated
Regards,

Praveen Panday

Willy
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Willy » za sep 10, 2005 5:47 pm

Welcome on this forum Praveen

Please look at these questions and provide the answers if not included in your previous message.

http://www.candida-fibromyalgie-hypogly ... php?t=5999

I will have a short sailing holiday, will be back on wednesday, but.............

Corrij the therapist of this forum will start exchaning information with you.

Please check which supplements are available in your area. I hope brands like solgar, NOW, pharma nord etc.
Laatst gewijzigd door Willy op za sep 10, 2005 6:54 pm, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Willy Witsel

Ben je blij met ons gratis advies doe dan
een tweet of een like bovenin deze forumpagina

praveen
Bekende op het forum

Bericht door praveen » za sep 10, 2005 6:45 pm

HI Willy

Have a wonderful holiday, we all need a break now and then.
I am not sure which questions to answer

Please let me know

I will check if the brands you mentioned are available in SA

Thanks alot
Praveen
Regards,

Praveen Panday

Willy
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Willy » za sep 10, 2005 6:58 pm

Please check my message again, I added a link.

What is your wifes age?

So the medication caused headache!! How much coffee and alcohol can she drink without complaints or being drunk (liver questions). Any problems with pain killers?

I will not look at the forum, because I will pack my luggage, see you in a coule of days.

Hum the weather is not looking good I think

Willy Witsel

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » za sep 10, 2005 10:02 pm

Hello Praveen,

First of all welcome to this forum.

In Willy`s message is a link which points out some questions.
Some of these you`re already answered,but would you be so kind as to answer them for us so we get a clear picture.I would like to add the questions below as well.

-Does youre wife suffer with a lot of headaches?
-Do you have any idea how her liver functions?
-What`s her weight?
-Maybe a strange question,but does your wife have an apple shape,or pear shape figure?
-Is she very fond of sugar or sweet things?
-What`s your wife`s age?

The people who join the Dutch forum ask their cardiologist if they mind that by using supplements they improve their health.
Would your cardiologist mind?

Well Praveen these are a lot of questions at the moment,I`ll await your answers

Best regards,

Corrij
Those who do not have enough time for good health,
will not have good health for enough time.

praveen
Bekende op het forum

Bericht door praveen » ma sep 12, 2005 11:58 am

Dear Corrij

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum,I am glad I found this forum and some wonderful people out there that can help.

I have answered all the questions that Willy pointed me to and also the ones that you have added on below.Regaring the question of Cardioloists and Nutritional Supplements, I would like to add that the medical doctors in our country aare anti-nutrition, I cannot understand why.You have some of the best professors in our country coming up on live TV and saying that supplements is a waste of time and money.Our health minister says on live TV that anti-retroviral tablets alone with not help AIDS victims but nutrition must be added on but the medical professors come along and say she is talking nonsense.

So to answer your question,I already know what he will say, we asked him sometime ago if my wife can take supplements for her tiredness cause we have a daughter and she is at school and my wife bearly spends time with her because she is tired all the time and he said no.

I read a book called nutrients depleted by drugs and now I understand why we are so exhausted by drugs at times.Sorry for the huge negative by me, but thats the way it goes in our country.You may wonder why we don't change doctors, truth is all of them are the same.

below is the answers to our questions:-

You are diagnosed with
idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy

Your current condition
shortness of breath on moderate exertion/stomach blows up when water is retained/tired/depressed

Ejection Fraction
not sure what this means, hopefully the report above has the answer

Cause of your disease
not sure might have been caused by pregnancy or during during birth

Blood pressure
not sure of the actual figures but the doctor says it is normal.

Possible nutritional restrictions (salt, water, etc)
-less salt and water

Are you using dueretics?
Yes –We are using Flurosemide which is a generic for Lasix

Are you using Beta Blockers like Sotalol?
Yes –Carloc which is the generic of Dilatrend

Are you frequently tired?
Yes

Do you use lots of sugar?
NO

Can you skip a meal or eat three hours later without any problems?
Cannot skip a meal but can have a meal 3 hours later

Does youre wife suffer with a lot of headaches? Not a lot , but occasionally –she used to have a lot of migranes

Do you have any idea how her liver functions?
As far a we know it is fine

-What`s her weight?
85 kg

Maybe a strange question,but does your wife have an apple shape,or pear shape figure?

Pear Shape

Is she very fond of sugar or sweet things?
She has a bit of sugar, but not alot

-What`s your wife`s age?
33 years

THe solgar range is available in SA , not sure of the other two, I sent an email and awating a reply.

Thanks Corrij
Regards,

Praveen Panday

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » ma sep 12, 2005 2:05 pm

Hello Praveen,

Thnx for your words

The most doctors in the Netherlands also dont believe is using supplements,
but the fact is you are what you eat. If you put diesel in a normal
gasloined car it breaks
that's the same with people.

Nutrition and also supplements are our gasline

I have seen up close and personally what therse supplements can do.
My husband was also diagnost with cardiomyopathie, he was on the waiting list.
They one thing he did was using supplements along with his regular medicine.
In febuari of this year the declared him Cured., and he's not the only one.

I'd suggest to start the following:

Chroom GTF 2x200 mcg per day
Vitamine B 15 (.DMG N,N-Dimethyl Glycine 125 mg) 3 capsules per day.

Vitamine B15 is the so called oxygenpil, prevents low oxygen, especially in
the heart muscle, and supports the liver to detoxicate and reduces fatigue
Chroom is needed for working the cholesterol down.

The two dont belong to the Heart Failing Protocol but to get more energy

L-Carnitine 3x500 mg per day

http://www.candida-fibromyalgie-hypogly ... php?t=3629

Best regards,

praveen
Bekende op het forum

Bericht door praveen » ma sep 12, 2005 4:03 pm

Thanks for replying Corrij

What brand should I go for,and also are those names of products you gave me or are they the make up.

So far I think the solgar range is available in SA, not sure of the others

When should my wife take the supplements,together with her medication or at different times...etc

Thanks again
Praveen
Regards,

Praveen Panday

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » ma sep 12, 2005 4:38 pm

Hello Praveen,

YOur welcome :D , The supplements I gave you are not brand names,
just what she should use.

The brand name doesn't really matter, Solgar is a really good one. You can
order it through internet in SA?

NOW is also really good and is manufactured by NOW FOODS , usa.(internet?)

She may take the supplenments at the same time as regular medicine, maybe
it's handier to take it during meals.

We'll see how it works out for a few weeks and then we'll talk about heart
failing protocol

If you have questios Praveen or if you need a pep talk, dont recist just let
me know :P :P

warmest regards,

praveen
Bekende op het forum

Bericht door praveen » ma sep 12, 2005 5:19 pm

Thanks Corrij :D

Are you able to voicechat over the internet, do you use application like
skype or can we text chat

Thanks
Praveen
Regards,

Praveen Panday

praveen
Bekende op het forum

Bericht door praveen » do sep 15, 2005 5:57 pm

Dear Corrij

I have been battling to ge the supplements for my wife, the L-carnitime I can get but in smaller doses.

B15 is not avilable in SA at all, I called even the big pharmacies, they are available as ingredients in other products but on its own, it is not availble.

Chroomium is available in smaller doses as well.

I am trying my best to get them ,my wife is anxiuos to start the supplements

I will stay in touch

Regards
Praveen :D
Regards,

Praveen Panday

Willy
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Willy » vr sep 16, 2005 1:46 pm

Hello Praveen

We can send the supplements from the Netherlands to your country. De Rooy the company supporting my web site will try to help you on this.

You will pay

1. the costs of the supplements
2. costs for sending them to SA
3. insurance costs if needed

If you want that, Corrij will help you with the required list. I will ask de Rooy to estimate the total costs. If you agree we will ship them to you.

You can pay either by internet or via your bank.

Willy Witsel

Willy
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Willy » vr sep 16, 2005 1:52 pm

So to answer your question,I already know what he will say, we asked him sometime ago if my wife can take supplements for her tiredness cause we have a daughter and she is at school and my wife bearly spends time with her because she is tired all the time and he said no.
Parveen does that mean that the cardiologist DOES NOT ALLOW your wife to uese supplements? If so why? or does your doctor not believe supplements will work?

praveen
Bekende op het forum

Bericht door praveen » vr sep 16, 2005 2:38 pm

Hi Willy

I hope you had a wonderful vacation.

Thanks for the offer, I would appreciate it if you can get a cost estimate for me including insurance and shipping etc .I would really appreciate it.In SA red tape prevents the health shops from getting mostly what is needed by the citizens.

Regarding the Cardiologist and supplements, yes I know our doctor and he does not believe in supplements.I think it will take a long time to change there mindset.What I can say is that our Cardiologist is 65 yrs old and he has a patner that is 40 yr.Now I know that the 40 yr old supports supplements but not the 70 yr old.I guess it is just a level of understanding.

I look forward to your reply.

Thanks
Praveen
Regards,

Praveen Panday

Willy
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Willy » vr sep 16, 2005 4:29 pm

Oke I will ask Corrij to make a listed of "wanted" supplements, we will send the list to de Rooy to request a price proposal.

My suggestion is that you try to find AT LEAST the chromium and the MSM locally in SA. So provide us the specs of available chromium and MSM products, preverably form the GREAT companies like Solgar, NOW, Pharama Nord etc.

Provide dosis, what is actually in the supplements, etc.

SO DO NOT BUY YET. lets first discuss what is available and then select the best option.

Oke for you Corrij?

sailing long weekend was great fun!!

Plaats reactie