Cardiomyopathy and Vitamine C and E synergistic effects

This forum is intended for international users to help them with the treatment of cardiomyopathy or heart failure.
Willy
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Cardiomyopathy and Vitamine C and E synergistic effects

Bericht door Willy » zo aug 24, 2003 4:34 pm

<H4>Vitamin E and vitamin C supplement use and risk of all-cause and coronary heart disease mortality in older persons: the Established Populations for Epidemiologic Studies of the Elderly </H4><I>
Losonczy KG; Harris TB; Havlik RJ Epidemiology, Demography and Biometry Program, National Institute on Aging, Bethesda, MD 20892-9205, USA. klosoncz@gibbs.oit.unc.edu Am J Clin Nutr (UNITED STATES) Aug 1996, 64 (2) p190-6 </I><BR>
We examined vitamin E and vitamin C supplement use in relation to mortality risk and whether vitamin C enhanced the effects of vitamin E in 11,178 persons aged 67-105 y who participated in the Established Populations for Epidemiologic Studies of the Elderly in 1984-1993. Participants were asked to report all nonprescription drugs currently used, including vitamin supplements. Persons were defined as users of these supplements if they reported individual vitamin E and/or vitamin C use, not part of a multivitamin. During the follow-up period there were 3490 deaths. Use of vitamin E reduced the risk of all-cause mortality [relative risk (RR) = 0.66; 95% CI: 0.53, 0.83] and risk of coronary disease mortality (RR = 0.53; 95% CI: 0.34, 0.84). Use of vitamin E at two points in time was also associated with reduced risk of total mortality compared with that in persons who did not use any vitamin supplements. Effects were strongest for coronary heart disease mortality (RR = 0.37; 95% CI: 0.15, 0.90). The RR for cancer mortality was 0.41 (95% CI: 0.15, 1.0. Simultaneous use of vitamins E and C was associated with a lower risk of total mortality (RR = 0.58; 95% CI: 0.42, 0.79) and coronary mortality (RR = 0.47; 95% CI: 0.25, 0.87). Adjustment for alcohol use, smoking history, aspirin use, and medical conditions did not substantially alter these findings. These findings are consistent with those for younger persons and suggest protective effects of vitamin E supplements in the elderly.
<H4>Carotenoids, vitamins C and E, and mortality in an elderly population </H4><I>
Sahyoun NR; Jacques PF; Russell RM Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, Tufts University, Boston, MA, USA. Am J Epidemiol (U.S.) Sep 1 1996, 144 (5) p501-11, </I><BR>
In 1981-1984, the nutritional status of 747 noninstitutionalized Massachusetts residents aged 60 years and over was assessed. Nine to 12 years later, the vital status of these subjects was determined. The data of a subset of 725 community-dwelling volunteers was used to examine associations between mortality and the nutrient antioxidants (carotenoids and vitamins C and E) in plasma, diet, and supplements. Results indicated that subjects with plasma vitamin C levels in the middle and high quintiles had a lower overall mortality (relative risk (RR) = 0.64, 95% confidence interval (CI) 0.44-0.94 and RR = 0.54, 95% CI 0.32-0.90, respectively) than those in the lowest quintile even after adjustment for potential confounders. These associations were largely due to reduced mortality from heart disease. Subjects in the highest quintile of total intake of vitamin C also had a significantly lower risk of overall mortality (RR = 0.55, 95% CI 0.32-0.93) and mortality from heart disease (RR = 0.38, 95% CI 0.19-0.75) than did those in the lowest quintile after potential confounders were controlled for. Intake of vegetables was inversely associated with overall mortality (p for trend = 0.003) and mortality from heart disease (p for trend = 0.04). No other significant associations were observed.
In conclusion, the results indicate that high intakes and plasma levels of vitamin C and frequent consumption of vegetables may be protective against early mortality and mortality from heart disease.
<H4>Supplementation with vitamins C and E suppresses leukocyte oxygen free radical production in patients with myocardial infarction </H4><I>
Herbaczynska-Cedro K; K+osiewicz-Wasek B; Cedro K; Wasek W; Panczenko-Kresowska B; Wartanowicz M Medical Research Centre, Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, Poland Eur Heart J (ENGLAND) Aug 1995, 16 (p1044-9, </I><BR>
Clinical studies suggest that neutrophil activation during acute myocardial infarction (MI) aggravates tissue injury. Activated neutrophils are an important source of oxygen free radicals (OFR), the injurious effects of which are counteracted by endogenous antioxidants. We have previously shown in healthy subjects that supplementation with antioxidant vitamins C and E suppresses OFR production by isolated neutrophils assayed by chemiluminescence (CL). The present study, performed in patients with acute MI aimed (1) to investigate the effect of vitamin C and E supplementation upon neutrophil OFR production and serum lipid peroxides, (2) to evaluate serum levels of vitamins C and E in the course of MI. Forty-five patients with acute MI were randomized to receive either conventional treatment only (control, n=22). All measurements were performed on the 1st and 14th day. Neutrophil OFR production assayed by CL decreased significantly in VIT patients (Wilcoxon test for paired data P<0.01, Chi square test P<0.01). In the control group, changes in OFR production were not significant. Serum lipid peroxides (measured as TBARS) increased in controls (P<0.05), but remained stable in VIT patients. Mean (+/-SE) serum ascorbic acid and tocopherol on the 1st day were 0.43 +/- 0.18% and 3.25 +/- 1.32 microM.M(-1) cholesterol, respectively, in all patients. On the 14th day in non-supplemented patients mean tocopherol was unchanged, whereas ascorbic acid increased significantly (0.63 +/- 0.24 mg%, P<0.01) suggesting that a low basal level was associated at least in part with the acute phase of the disease. An expected increase in serum vitamin levels occurred in VIT patients.
In conclusion, supplementation with vitamins C and E suppresses neutrophil OFR production and lowers the marker of lipid peroxidation in patients with MI.
<H4>Effect of vitamin E, vitamin C and beta-carotene on LDL oxidation and atherosclerosis</H4><I>
Jialal I; Fuller CJ Center for Human Nutrition, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235-9052, USA. Can J Cardiol (CANADA) Oct 1995, 11 Suppl G p97G-103G, </I><BR>
OBJECTIVE: The oxidative modification of low density lipoprotein (LDL) may be an early step in atherogenesis. Furthermore, evidence of oxidized LDL has been found in vivo. The most persuasive evidence shows that supplementation of some animal models with antioxidants slows atherosclerosis. The purpose of this review is to examine the roles that vitamin E, vitamin C and beta-carotene may play in reducing LDL oxidation. DATA SOURCES: English language articles published since 1980, particularly from groups active in this field of research. STUDY SELECTION: In vitro, animal, and human studies on antioxidants, LDL oxidation, and atherosclerosis were selected. DATA SYNTHESIS: Vitamin E has shown the most consistent effects with regard to LDL oxidation. Beta-carotene appears to have only a mild or no effect on oxidizability. Ascorbate, although it is not lipophilic, can also reduce LDL oxidative susceptibility.
CONCLUSIONS: LDL oxidizability can be reduced by antioxidant nutrients. However, more research is needed to establish their utility in the prevention of coronary artery disease. (97 Refs.)
<H4>Acetylsalicylic acid and vitamin E in prevention of arterial thrombosis</H4><I>
Can J Cardiol (CANADA) May 1997, 13 (5) p533-5 </I><BR>
Both acetylsalicylic acid and vitamin E have been shown to be beneficial in the prevention of stroke and heart attacks. It is implied that their combination in the treatment of thrombotic complications of atherosclerosis may have added benefits. It is suggested that vitamin E may work as a platelet lysosome stabilizing agent.
Soureces all abstracts: http://www.lef.org/prod_hp/abstracts/php-ab426.html

Plaats reactie