Cardiomyopathy (Heart Failure) and DHEA

This forum is intended for international users to help them with the treatment of cardiomyopathy or heart failure.
Willy
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Cardiomyopathy (Heart Failure) and DHEA

Bericht door Willy » zo aug 24, 2003 4:31 pm

<H4>The plasma levels of dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate are decreased in patients with chronic heart failure in proportion to the severity.</H4><I>
Moriyama Y, Yasue H, Yoshimura M, Mizuno Y, Nishiyama K, Tsunoda R, Kawano H, Kugiyama K, Ogawa H, Saito Y, Nakao K. Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Kumamoto University School of Medicine, Japan.</I><BR>
Dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEAS) is the major secretory steroid of the human adrenal glands. The secretion of DHEAS decreases with aging. The incidence of heart failure also rises in the elderly population. We measured the plasma levels of DHEAS and cortisol in 49 patients with chronic heart failure (CHF) and 32 age-matched controls and assessed its relation to plasma levels of A-type natriuretic peptide and B-type natriuretic peptide, biochemical markers of heart failure. Plasma levels of DHEAS were significantly lower in patients with CHF than in controls, whereas there was no significant difference in plasma levels of cortisol between the two groups. In stepwise regression analysis, the plasma level of DHEAS was significantly and independently correlated with age (beta = -0.451; P < 0.0001) and the plasma level of B-type natriuretic peptide (beta = -0.338; P < 0.001), and the plasma cortisol/DHEAS ratio was significantly and independently correlated with the plasma levels of A-type natriuretic peptide (beta = 0.598; P < 0.0001) and thiobarbituric acid-reactive substances (a marker of oxidative stress; beta = 0.252; P < 0.01) and age (beta = 0.171; P < 0.05). These results indicate that the plasma levels of DHEAS are decreased in patients with CHF in proportion to its severity and that oxidative stress is associated with decreased levels of DHEAS in patients with CHF.
Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... t=Abstract
<H4>Pituitary function in chronic heart failure in the elderly.</H4><I>
Ceda GP, Dall'Aglio E, Salimbeni I, Rocci A, Mazzoni S, Corradi F, Cattadori E, Visioli S, Banchini A, Ceresini G, Valenti G, Hoffman AR. Department of Internal Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Section of Geriatrics, University of Parma, Parma, Italy. gpceda@unipr.it</I><BR>
Heart failure is a complex syndrome characterized by the activation of hemodynamic, immunologic and neurohormonal systems, which have beneficial effects in the short run, but will ultimately lead to secondary end-organ damage with worsening of LV remodeling and subsequent cardiac decompensation. A very important role seems to be played by modifications of the pituitary hormone systems. Due to the neurohormonal activation there is an increase in the activity in the renin angiotensin system, in the adrenergic nervous system, and in the cytokine system. In heart failure there is a decrease in many anabolic hormones, such as a decrease of GH and IGF-I, of DHEA/DHEAS with normal or increased F, and a decrease of LH and sex steroids, resulting in an important catabolic drive, capable of contributing to the development of cardiac failure and to sarcopenia and/or cachexia, frequently observed in the advanced stages of the disease. However, these hormone alterations have been described in relatively young patients with chronic heart failure, since the mean age of all the subjects studied was of about 60 yr and none of the studies have specifically addressed this issue in the very old patients, who represent the largest portion of population affected by this pathological condition. The role of hormone replacement therapy needs to be verified in a population of elderly patients with heart failure.
Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... t=Abstract

Plaats reactie