Diastolic Heart Failure

This forum is intended for international users to help them with the treatment of cardiomyopathy or heart failure.
Plaats reactie
Jeffrey
Nieuw in dit forum

Diastolic Heart Failure

Bericht door Jeffrey » ma mei 09, 2011 5:05 pm

Hello! :-)

I'am new to these forums. I'm a 31 year old undergoing symptoms and problems of Heart Failure, specifically Diastolic Heart Failure as my cardiologist is suspecting. I used to run 5 miles a day, 9 minute miles before these symptoms started getting much worse. Now I'am at 3 miles a day 11 minute miles. I have recently discontinued my running and weightlifting program, as it seems to be making symptoms worse, even though I have capacity to run. I'am fearful of doing anything beyond the walking I do daily at my job. Being extremely fatiqued all day, chest pains everyday, and giving up everything I love has ruined my life and my career. Even talking for periods of time makes me lightheaded. The facts I'm aware of is my Ejection Fraction is normal (50-60%), and I have only a slightly regurgitating mitral valve (0.5 on a 1 to 5 scale). Before I get into specifics, is the treatment protocol effective in treating this type of Heart Failure as well? Please forgive my ignorance, but the sufferings from my everyday life has made me desperate in search for my answers, and I stumbled upon here. I can obtain more information from my cardiologist this week should you require more information. I sincerely thank you in advance for any answers and for your time. I pray that you can help me. This has created a horrible depression in me that feel like a prison.

Greetings, Jeffrey

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » ma mei 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Hello Jeffrey,

Welcome on this forum :D

Diastolic dysfunction itself often produces no symptoms at all, unless it progresses to the point of causing diastolic heart failure.

In recent years, a "new" type of heart problem has become widely recognized among cardiologists called diastolic dysfunction. When diastolic dysfunction becomes severe, diastolic heart failure can occur.
The diagnosis of diastolic dysfunction is now fairly common, especially among older women, most of whom are shocked to hear they have a heart problem at all. While some of these patients will go on to develop actual diastolic heart failure, many will not - especially if they get appropriate medical care, and also take care of themselves.

Still, it is now thought that almost half the patients who come to emergency rooms with episodes of acute heart failure actually have diastolic heart failure. The diagnosis of diastolic heart failure, unfortunately, is often missed by unwary physicians. Because once the patient presenting with diastolic heart failure has been stabilized, unless the doctor looks specifically for evidence of diastolic dysfunction on the echocardiogram, the heart can appear entirely "normal."

The cardiac cycle is divided into two parts - systole and diastole. During systole, the ventricles (the heart's major pumping chambers) contract, thus ejecting blood out of the heart and into the arteries. After the ventricles have finished contracting, they relax, and during this relaxation phase they re-fill with blood to prepare for the next contraction. This relaxation phase is called diastole.

Sometimes, however, due to various medical conditions, the ventricles become relatively "stiff." Stiff ventricles cannot fully relax during diastole, and as a result the ventricles may not fill completely, and blood can "dam up" in the body's organs (mainly the lungs). An abnormal "stiffening" of the ventricles, and the resulting abnormal ventricular filling during diastole, is referred to as diastolic dysfunction.

When diastolic dysfunction is sufficient to produce pulmonary congestion (that is, a damming up of blood into the lungs), diastolic heart failure is said to be present.

In general, when doctors use the terms diastolic dysfunction and diastolic heart failure, they are referring to isolated diastolic abnormalities - that is, diastolic problems occurring without evidence of systolic dysfunction, another type of heart failure.

People think of heart failure as a condition where the heart does not pump out enough blood. That is called systolic heart failure. However, many CHFers have a different kind of heart failure - caused when the heart does not fully relax, so it does not fill properly with blood.

In mild DHF, SOB and fatigue usually only happen during stress or activity. More severe DHF causes many of the same symptoms that systolic heart failure or SHF, causes.
A person with DHF has high pressures in the arteries of their lungs - pulmonary pressure. Their heart's pumping chambers may not be enlarged and their ejection fraction may be normal, but they still have the same nasty symptoms as a person with SHF.

Exercise in a healthy person makes the heart relax more quickly and lowers LV pressure faster. The heart muscle actually stretches and gets larger when full of blood just before pumping it out. This increases EF. In a healthy person, these actions help the body handle exercise.
In DHF, those actions are very limited. The heart's stiffness prevents it from stretching to increase its size when filled with blood. EF does not rise, and patients get short of breath and very tired. Often, there is quite a rise in blood pressure and heart rate during exercise. The rise in blood pressure makes the heart work harder, which screws up the entire pumping cycle.
These changes increase diastolic pressures. High diastolic pressures reduce lung function and make breathing harder. Low heart output during exercise causes fatigue in the legs and other muscles.

At this time its important for us to know what the diagnosis is, and what your cardiologist recommend.

greetings,
Corrij
Those who do not have enough time for good health,
will not have good health for enough time.

Willy
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Willy » di mei 10, 2011 11:44 am

Hello My new article is now also available in "English" translated by Google

http://translate.google.nl/translate?js ... l=nl&tl=en
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Willy Witsel

Ben je blij met ons gratis advies doe dan
een tweet of een like bovenin deze forumpagina

Willy
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Willy » di mei 10, 2011 11:47 am

klick on

orthomolecular treatment

Willy Witsel

demax
Nieuw in dit forum

Heart Failture

Bericht door demax » di dec 11, 2012 9:12 am

Usually heart failture, means a condition in which the heart's pumping power is weaker than normal. Patients with heart failure are 6 to 9 times more likely than the general population to experience ventricular arrhythmias that can lead to sudden cardiac arrest.

[/b]Dilated cardiomyopathy [/b](cause of SCD in about 10 percent of the cases): a decrease in the heart's ability to pump

Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: a thickened heart muscle that especially affects the ventricles.

Beebs
Bekende op het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Beebs » vr feb 15, 2013 7:29 pm

Willy schreef:klick on

orthomolecular treatment
Hello, could you tell me where is the link for Orthomolucular treatment for Heart Failure, I couldn't find it. Many thanks. :)
Kind regards

Beebs

Willy
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Willy » vr feb 15, 2013 8:40 pm

Willy Witsel

Beebs
Bekende op het forum