Shane - Diagnosed in June with Dialated Cardiomyopathy

This forum is intended for international users to help them with the treatment of cardiomyopathy or heart failure.
shane
Verslaafd aan het forum

Bericht door shane » zo nov 11, 2007 9:25 pm

Hi Corrij,

Shane isn't on the CoQ10 yet because of it interfering with the Coumadin. The last two INR tests finally showed normal after dropping the CoQ10. I would rather wait until after December 3rd when he gets the defribulator. Can he still take the Carnatine and the Taurine without the CoQ10 for now?

Also, can he take the three carnatine with the rest of the pills and meds at the same time and then take the taurine before bed? His schedule is not organized at all. He gets up around noon and then stays up late most days. He is still very young and stays up late most nights and doesn't sleep really well. He does take a separate dose of Lisinopril at night so it would be easier for him to take a the taurine at the same time if possible.

Thanks so much!
Verona

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » zo nov 11, 2007 10:12 pm

Hi Verona,

Youre right about the Q10, completly forgotten :oops:

The normal supplements must be taken with food, thats the best.
Only the carnitine and taurin on a empty stomach.

For example,

when he gets up around noon
3 x 500 carnitine and a half hour after eat something!

Before the next meal 3 x 500 taurine!

His medication and the MSM and the chromium together with the meals.

It would be better for him to some kind of structure in his day planning.
I know it is difficult on this age, but sleep to long doesn`t make him better, is there some kind of exercise he can do?

It isn`t a good idea to take meds in the middle of the night.

The body's sensitivity to time of day means that a drug proven safe to take in the morning may not be safe at night, or that a dose that works at 8 p.m. may be too small at 8 a.m. Some of the first—and still most compelling—evidence for these time-related differences came from Franz Halberg, widely considered to be the father of chronobiology. In a 1959 experiment that became a classic in the field, Halberg showed that it was easier for mice to survive a toxic dose of ethanol at one time of day than at another. Since then, time of day has proven to be an important factor in the safety and effectiveness of drugs for asthma, high blood pressure, and other conditions. These principles even apply to run-of-the-mill pills like aspirin, which does less damage to the stomach lining when taken in the evening than in the morning. (Conveniently, aspirin is also better at reducing blood pressure when taken before bed.)

Despite this evidence of variation, drug research is almost always done during daylight hours, when the humans leading the studies are awake and alert. And in the animal testing stage, it's almost always done with mice and rats, which are nocturnal—the middle of our day is the middle of their night. This can lead to gross misestimations of the effectiveness and toxicity of a drug intended for humans. "How much time, effort and money have been wasted in this way we shall probably never know," chronobiologist Josephine Arendt wrote in her 1998 overview of biological rhythms and medicine.

greetings,
Corrij
Those who do not have enough time for good health,
will not have good health for enough time.

shane
Verslaafd aan het forum

Bericht door shane » di nov 13, 2007 7:34 pm

Hi Corrij,

I am going to get some L-Carnatine for Shane today. He is supposed to take the L-Carnitine on an empty stomach. Can he take it with any other supplements or meds?

Thank you,
Verona

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » di nov 13, 2007 8:58 pm

Hi Verona,

No its better to take this on a empty stomach.Other supplements and meds he can take with some food 1/2 hour after taking the carnitine,

greetings,
Corrij

shane
Verslaafd aan het forum

Bericht door shane » wo nov 14, 2007 10:36 am

Hi Corrij,

The only thing that Shane takes later in the day or evening is a second dose of Lisinopril. He could remember to take the Taurine at around the same time. What effect would this have if he took both at the same time on an empty stomach?

He doesn't follow routines very well unfortunately. :cry:

Thank you for all you help! :)
Verona

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » wo nov 14, 2007 11:10 am

Hi Verona,

Certain medications interact with taurine: Some interactions may increase the need for taurine , other interactions may be negative and indicate taurine should not be taken without first speaking with your physician or pharmacist, others may require further explanation . Refer to the individual drug article for specific details about an interaction.

Note: the following list only includes the generic or class name of a medication—to find a specific brand name, use the Safetychecker index.

Chemotherapy

Cisplatin

Fluorouracil

Paclitaxel

Lisinopril Interactions with Dietary Supplements
Potassium
An uncommon yet potentially serious side effect of taking ACE inhibitors is increased blood potassium levels. This problem is more likely to occur in people with advanced kidney disease. Taking potassium supplements, potassium-containing salt substitutes (No Salt®, Morton Salt Substitute®, and others), or large amounts of high-potassium foods at the same time as ACE inhibitors could cause life-threatening problems. Therefore, people should consult their healthcare practitioner before supplementing additional potassium and should have their blood levels of potassium checked periodically while taking ACE inhibitors.

Zinc
In a study of 34 people with hypertension, six months of captopril or enalapril (ACE inhibitors related to lisinopril) treatment led to decreased zinc levels in certain white blood cells,9 raising concerns about possible ACE inhibitor–induced zinc depletion.

While zinc depletion has not been reported with lisinopril, until more is known, it makes sense for people taking lisinopril long term to consider, as a precaution, taking a zinc supplement or a multimineral tablet containing zinc. (Such multiminerals usually contain no more than 99 mg of potassium, probably not enough to trigger the above-mentioned interaction.) Supplements containing zinc should also contain copper, to protect against a zinc-induced copper deficiency.

Lisinopril Interactions with Foods and Other Compounds
Food
Lisinopril may be taken with or without food.

greetings,
Corrij

shane
Verslaafd aan het forum

Bericht door shane » wo nov 14, 2007 8:09 pm

Hi Corrij,

Thank you for the info! I am going to have serious talk with Shane today about how important the supplement doses and timing are. He is 22, but left home at 15 and needs guidance. He is presently staying with my mom who lives here locally and is located close to Shane's friends and medical facilities.

It's difficult to supervise him when he is an adult, but he has a long way to go to grow up since I never had to chance to completely raise him. But he is a sweet witty guy and doesn't like to be told what to do from his mom sometimes.

Thank you for giving us hope!! :D

Verona

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » wo nov 14, 2007 9:49 pm

Hi Verona,

I know how difficult it can be to raise children.
I have three children in the age of 25-19 and almost 12(next saterday)

Maybe he will listen to me :D

If he is visiting you, put him behind the pc and I make him clear how important things are :D

Even sweet guy`s have to listen to their mum :P

greetings,
Corrij

shane
Verslaafd aan het forum

Bericht door shane » do nov 15, 2007 5:19 pm

Hi Corrij,

Thank you for understanding about my son not listening to me. I only have one child, so having three...well I can only imagine! :o I didn't have a chance to talk to him yesterday. I am hoping today will work out.

Thanks so much!
Verona

shane
Verslaafd aan het forum

Bericht door shane » vr nov 16, 2007 9:08 am

Corrij,

He finally started his L-Carnatine and Taurine today! He even set his cell phone to a certain time so he will remember to take the Taurine later.

Thank you! :)
Verona

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » vr nov 16, 2007 4:33 pm

Hi Verona,

That is good news, keep faith Verona :D

greetings,
Corrij

shane
Verslaafd aan het forum

Bericht door shane » vr nov 16, 2007 6:38 pm

Hi Corrij,

I am keeping the faith! I thank God I found you and this forum!

I even had Shane go to my naturopath after he was first diagnosed and he didn't have any solution. So I didn't think we could do anything other than the meds and wait for Shane's condition to improve hopefully, or face a heart transplant. :roll:

I feel blessed...
Thank you for all your help!
Verona

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » vr nov 16, 2007 7:01 pm

Hi Verona,

You don`t have to thank me, I am very glad that I can help a little bit :D
I hope that when Shane`s condition improves, he will visit the forum some time :P

There is another mum on this forum, maybe the two of you can have a little chat, you can always put a message or a question by other forum users if you want.
http://www.candida-fibromyalgie-hypogly ... 2&start=15

On the Dutch forum most of the people do, and sometimes you can get a big discussion about some meds or having arrythmia`s(example)

There even are people who became friends :D

have a very nice day,

warm regards,
Corrij

sorry for my bad english :oops:

shane
Verslaafd aan het forum

Bericht door shane » zo nov 25, 2007 8:07 pm

Hi Corrij,

Good news! I found out from Shane's cardiologist that the blood clot in his heart is no longer there! They found that his coumadin levels were a little low, but not to increase the dose until after the defribulator procedure which I feel a lot more comforable about now without a blood clot to worry about. :D

Also, he has been following the protocol very carefully since our talk.
We are going to have him go off the protocol on Monday because of his defribulator procedure in a week though. It will be great when we can do the full protocol without stopping!

He is going in Tuesday for his echo cardiogram finally! He was scheduled before, but had to cancel, so we will see what this tells us.

Have a great week!
Verona

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » zo nov 25, 2007 10:14 pm

Hi Verona,

First of all, may I say, that youre having a very nice son :D
Now I have a face to talk to :D

That is indeed good news, its always scary having a bloodclot in youre heart.

When the defribillator is implant and he is home again, we start the full protocol, I am very glad he is following this carefully.

Shane I wish you good luck next week, I`ll send some positive energy :P

greetings,
Corrij

Gesloten