treatment skunks

This forum is intended for international users to help them with the treatment of cardiomyopathy or heart failure.
Plaats reactie
Deborah Cipriani
Nieuw in dit forum
Contacteer:

treatment skunks

Bericht door Deborah Cipriani » ma jun 18, 2007 8:57 pm

Hello everyone,

I know it must seem a little bit strange but I`ve ask Corrij and Willy to help me with my skunks many of them have cardiomyopathy.

So here I am, :D

Hello,

We have him on750 mg L-carntine and 100 mg COQ-10 per day, All his
life
he always had Taurine. The vet put him on Digoxin . He was not born with this. He recently got it. I was reading about virus and auto-immune
can cause this. I think he also has Aleutian Disease Virus. I give all my skunks herbs and alterative ways of healing . I use all products that are made for humans not animals. I usually do research
in
Humans and that is how I found you!

Any help would be appreciated. We are syringe feeding him now. He is
still strong and is not giving up.

I was just talking to some one yesterday and their skunk had this at
the
age of 4 . They just put her to sleep due to she was not getting
better.
I am hoping this does not happen to "Kid"

Thanks

Deborah Cipriani
SkunkHaven Skunk Rescue, Shelter, and Education, Inc.
Regards

Deborah

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » ma jun 18, 2007 9:03 pm

Hello Deborah,

Do skunks eat red meat?
The weight of a skunk is this about 5 kg?

I think you give him too much of the carnitine and the Q10, and if they
don`t eat red meat you shouldn`t give him carnitine,

regards,
corrij
Those who do not have enough time for good health,
will not have good health for enough time.

Deborah Cipriani
Nieuw in dit forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Deborah Cipriani » di jun 19, 2007 10:56 pm

Skunks eat almost anything. The skunk that has the heart problem is not eatting anything. We are syringe feeding him. I now have another one that has a heart problem and suspect two others so a total of four .
The second skunk , he always had a raspy cough at night time while sleeping. Now I think that is a symptom that cough and heart.
Regards

Deborah

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » wo jun 20, 2007 1:19 pm

Hi Deborah,

Yes you did it :D A very welcome on this forum :D

Youre right about the coughing,its very often a sign of fluid behind the lungs, one of the symptons of heartfailure.

You can give him Solidago 3 x drupples a day (homeopatic)

I suggest in my earlier e-mail to give your skunks,

Chlorella
Q10 15 mg a day
Taurine 50 mg a day

and I would ad Vitamin E ,the smallest amount you can get
Vitamin C 50 mg a day
MSM 100 mg a day.

This is for a start maybe we will added some more supplements in a few weeks time.

Give your skunks a lot of fresh vegetables and a little piece of cheese every day.
Don`t give them red meat or pork(no hamburger)you can give them chicken,turkey and sometimes a little bit of fish.
Nuts are also very good to feed,

greetings,
Corrij

Deborah Cipriani
Nieuw in dit forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Deborah Cipriani » do jun 21, 2007 9:13 pm

Thanks for the advice. MSM? I did not realize that was good for the heart. Any advice on how to stimulate the appetite for Kid. Ihave been adding B-Complex but thats not working either.

My other skunk is name Skuddles he also has the heart problem. He is eating at least , not like the other one not eating. BUT he is have major problems with fluids. He is weezing really bad. I told my vet you were helping me and he said do what we can to dry up the fluid build up. We have tried lasic and its not working or we are not dosing high enough but my vet does not want to do that due to lasic causes renal failer.

If you have a idea homeopathic/ holistic/ herbs/ what to give him to dry up the fluids , please let me know.

Thanks
Deb
Regards

Deborah

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » do jun 21, 2007 10:05 pm

Hi Deborah,

You can try Solidago this is a homeopatic produkt.
You can also try to give him dandelion, let him eat the flower or the leaves.With dandelion his kalium level stays the same.

Juniperus communis and Genista tinctoria are also homeopatic diuretica.

About MSM,

http://www.candida-fibromyalgie-hypogly ... php?t=3607

apple juice stimulate the appetite and tomato juice,

greetings,
Corrij

Deborah Cipriani
Nieuw in dit forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Deborah Cipriani » za jun 23, 2007 2:46 am

Thank you for your recommendation.

Do you have a suggested dose on the Juniperus Communis and Genista Tinctoria for Skuddles? Which is better to use or should I buy both?

What is Solidago? Uses? You are suggesting to use on Kid and Skuddles?

Last night I just found a lump behind one of Kids back legs so looks like I am up against more than a heart problem with him.

We also have him on the Essiac tea.
Regards

Deborah

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » za jun 23, 2007 1:54 pm

Hi Deborah,

You can choose one or two at the same time.
It`s very difficult for me to translate, so I went looking on the web and I found this,

http://www.healthy.net/scr/Article.asp?Id=1479

Didn`t the vet prescribe any diuretic?

greetings,
Corrij

Deborah Cipriani
Nieuw in dit forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Deborah Cipriani » wo jul 18, 2007 11:06 pm

The fluid in Skuddles has gone from the lung area but his face is now swelling up. We are giving him cranberry.

Kid our other skunk is almost gone. He is still here but now jaundice. He just got yellow over night. I can say he is a figher due to I ask him to eat and he trys to eat something. I have started him on Milk Thistle and schisandra tinture. We took him off the conventional medicine the vet had him on. My vet is gong this week so he does not know we have a turn for the worst. I am on my own.

We still have him on your suggestions.

Thanks
Regards

Deborah

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » do jul 19, 2007 5:09 pm

Hi Deborah,

I am very sorry to hear that the condition of Kid is so bad :(

He was too ill when we start the protocol.

How many skunks are ill at this moment?

Is Skuddles allergic for some thing you know?
That his face is swelling up is not a sympton of cardiomypatic.

greetings,
Corrij

Deborah Cipriani
Nieuw in dit forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Deborah Cipriani » vr jul 20, 2007 2:45 am

Skuddles No not that I am aware of. I have another skunk that does that once in a while swelling of the face. She had swollen tonsils.
I treat viral and it goes away. I thought it was the heart doing that to skuddles.

My skunks are older. I never had problems until they reaced the age of six/seven.

I have a few others with different problems.

Yes I know about Kid but there is always hope.

Thanks
Regards

Deborah

Deborah Cipriani
Nieuw in dit forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Deborah Cipriani » wo jul 25, 2007 12:05 am

Thank you Corrij!! You have helped Skuddles. You had me thinking. I really thought the heart....

I have stopped all supplaments just in case he is allgeric to something. The swelling in his face has gone down. We have him on antobotic just in case he has infection and thinking about benadril for allgories.

Kid passed on Sunday night. His body is being sent out for research studies.

Many skunks have heart problems. This is a first for me. Maybe you can help other skunks.

Thanks again.
Deb
Regards

Deborah

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » do aug 09, 2007 10:09 am

I have been dealing with many types of problems . This is my first heart.

I am waiting for the final necropsy to come back. (Like our autopsy in humans)

I have what the vet gave him written at home.

I already had him on what you suggested just adjusted the amounts. As far as the taurine most people give 250-500 mg per day any ways.

As far as Skuddles , I told you of his puffy face and sniffles. He was on antibiotic and nothing is working for him either. His face has gone down on his own. He still is not right.

Now I have another old skunk , he stopped eating and I know there is something wrong, had him to the vets did blood work and x-rays and nothing showed up.

Yesterday he now looks like the picture. See the blood coming to the service. I called the vet this morning and asked him if a blood draw would cause a blood clot and he said yes that could be possible , I asked him what are the symptoms, he said the blood would rise to the service. i told him what about Everest? he drew blood from him. He said That was done July 25 and it would have showed up with in three days. So now I am faced with another problem.

I come to the conclusion that some one has put a hex on my home. I plan on doing a "cleansing" of the home with herbs. All my skunks are around the same age and all different problems. What we learn from them I hope will save another.

Deborah

Corrij (therapeut)
Verslaafd aan het forum
Contacteer:

Bericht door Corrij (therapeut) » do aug 09, 2007 10:10 am

Hi Deborah,

No I never see this in humans.I don`t believe that this get something to do with the heartfailure problems.
It seem to me a allergic reaction, what is your vet saying ?

Just like people, animals have allergic reactions because their immune system--the system that protects the body from foreign and potentially infectious substances--overreacts to some material. Almost anything--pollen, dust, an ingredient in pet food, a household chemical, an insect bite--can set off an alarm in the immune system, causing it to pump out large amounts of white blood cells, hormones, and other material called histamines into the bloodstream. The result for animals can be a range of different effects, including itchy, swollen skin--known as pruritis--difficulty breathing, or a disruption of the digestive tract such as vomiting or diarrhea. These symptoms are the animal equivalent of a person's sneezing, runny nose, and watery eyes.

Pets with these kinds of allergic symptoms can be pretty miserable creatures, and unfortunately they can't be cured. Allergies are life-long, chronic problems. The good news is that there's a lot you can do to help your animal "children" feel better. The best way to start is to find out what your pet is allergic to, so you can keep the allergen out of his environment. Animal allergies generally fall under one of four main categories.

Contact allergies
These are the least common type of allergy in animals. They happen when an animal's skin comes in contact with the material he's allergic to--if he rubs his face against a wool blanket, for example, and he's allergic to wool. The chemicals in flea collars can cause this problem as well. The skin at the point of contact will be irritated--it may itch, become thickened or discolored, have a strong odor, and/or lose hair due to constant biting or scratching. Contact allergies are generally not a hard problem to solve--they're usually confined to a specific area of an animal's body, and the allergen shouldn't take too much work to discover. You can try removing different materials that your pet touches until you find the one that irritates his skin.

Food allergies
Diet can be a complicated factor in pet allergies. Most animals are not born with allergies to food; their immune systems develop an allergic response over time to some part of their diet, often one of the animal proteins. A food allergy can present in a lot of different ways, including the itching, digestive disorders, and respiratory distress already mentioned. They can be a real challenge to solve, however. You can try to figure out what's causing your pet's allergic reaction by feeding him different diets, but the allergic effects of food can stay in the system for eight weeks. You may have to keep your furry friend on a special hypoallergenic (non-allergy-causing) diet for eight to twelve weeks to see how he reacts, and you may have to do it several times with several different diets before you find one that doesn't cause an allergic reaction. And while you're feeding these test diets, you'll have to make very sure that your pet doesn't eat any treats, vitamins, leftovers or scraps, or even plants around the house. He has to eat the test diet exclusively for the entire eight to twelve weeks to determine whether he has an allergic reaction to it.

Inhalant allergy
Inhalant allergies are the kind we humans are most used to. Just like us, our pets get hay fever, meaning they can be allergic to the pollen and mold that fills the outside air during the spring and fall. They can also be allergic to the dust mites, mildew, and mold that can be inside every home. These kinds of allergens usually produce severe itching in pets, which is usually concentrated in the ears, feet, groin, and armpits, though it can be spread across the entire body. Dogs in particular may develop hairless, irritated "hot spots" from constantly chewing on and scratching the affected skin.

Most animals that are allergic to airborne particles are usually allergic to more than one. Often, they will only experience itching during the pollen-heavy seasons of the year, just like humans with hay fever. If you find that your pet's allergies seem to be seasonal, you may be able to limit his outdoor time during allergy season. Your pet may be reacting to an indoor allergen, however, or an allergen that doesn't vary by season. In that case, there's not much you can do to keep him away from whatever he's allergic to, though an air filter might provide some relief.

Flea allergies
This is an extremely common problem for pets, possibly the most common allergy of all. Animals aren't actually allergic to the fleas themselves, but to proteins that fleas secrete in their saliva when they bite. Your pet doesn't have to be a walking flea circus to suffer from an allergy, either. Affected animals can itch severely from a single bite for over five days! So, if you suspect your pet is allergic to fleas, you're going to have to work very hard to keep the little pests away. Frequent baths are a good idea, as are the prescription flea applications and pills. Consult your veterinarian when you chose a flea repellent for your pet, though; the wrong kind or too strong of a concentration could cause irritated skin, seizures, and even death in extreme cases. You will also want to treat your pet's environment, including any bedding or carpeting he comes in contact with.

Other Options
What makes allergies hard to deal with is that in many cases, you either won't be able to determine exactly what is causing the reaction or won't be able to remove it from your pet's environment. This is where your veterinarian comes into the picture. You and your veterinarian will probably have to work together to determine the best treatment, or combination of treatments, for your pet's allergy. You may have to go through a series of trying a possible solution, waiting to see how your pet reacts to it, and moving on to another solution. Your veterinarian may suggest one or more of the following things:

Testing--Your veterinarian has a few different tools to help determine the source of your pet's allergy. Intradermal or "scratch" tests involve making small abrasions in an animal's skin and inserting small amounts of materials that the veterinarian suspects the pet might be allergic to. If the animal is allergic to one of the materials, say dust mites or ragweed pollen, the immune system will react to it and that particular scratch will become inflamed. There are also a number of blood tests your veterinarian can use to analyze the amount of certain chemicals that the immune system releases into the bloodstream when exposed to different allergens. These tests can be used to tell whether your pet is having an allergic reaction or whether the problem is caused by something else, and sometimes they can determine the source of the allergy.
Steroids--These drugs work to suppress the immune system and make the allergic reaction less severe. Steroid treatment can help your pet even if you can't determine what he's allergic to or how he's being exposed. They can have several side effects, however, and they affect nearly every organ in the body. Steroid use can cause weight gain, increased thirst and urination, and increased aggression and other behavioral changes. They are generally used if the allergy occurs for a short amount of time, because long-term use makes animals more prone to infection, as well as susceptible to diabetes and seizures.
Immunotherapy--This is one of the safest and most effective ways to treat allergies, but it also takes the longest amount of time to work. In immunotherapy, animals are given regularly--often weekly--vaccinations that contain small amounts of the substance they're allergic to. The same therapy is used for people who go in for allergy shots. It gradually desensitizes the immune system to the allergen, meaning that as time goes by, the immune system is reprogrammed and doesn't react to the allergen as strongly. Unfortunately, it takes some time for the immune system to readjust. It can sometimes be six to twelve months before animals show any improvement from the treatment.
Antihistamines--These drugs, much like the allergy medication people take, work to block the chemicals released by the immune system, called histamines. They are effective at reducing itching and inflammation, and they are relatively safe to use. Their major drawback is that they cause sedation, and can make pets extremely drowsy and sluggish. Occasionally, they can change an animal's energy level enough to affect his quality of life.
Symptomatic treatment--Even if none of the above treatments are effective, you can still give your pet a lot of relief by simply treating his symptoms as they come up. There are a number of soothing shampoos on the market that contain ingredients like oatmeal or Epsom salts. Your veterinarian may also be able to suggest ointments, ear treatments, or sprays that can make your pet more comfortable. Be cautious about using home remedies or herbal treatments on your pet, however. Consult with your veterinarian before trying any new treatment, because you could damage your pet's skin or aggravate the allergic reaction. Most of all, remember that while you can give these symptomatic treatments often, they will only provide temporary relief. If your pet still seems uncomfortable despite the baths or other treatments, you can talk to your veterinarian about long-term treatment.
Whatever treatment decision you and your veterinarian come to, rest assured that the patience and determination it can take to treat allergies is well worth it. Though it may take some time and effort, you can help your itchy, grouchy pet feel comfortable again.

greetings,
Corrij

Plaats reactie